View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
laphan

Just bought almost identical car with your option 1 (02 blue with blue interior). I was in you situation few months ago. I don't know still what Porsche changed but 02 feel a little smoother than 2.7L from 2000. I first thought that it was only my imagination (I remembered that the 00 boxster has louder exhaust drone under 3K RPM). I did not look for 1999 and older because I don't want the 2.5L engine and the only boxster available in my area are either 00 or 02-03.
If it is me, I would pick one with lower mileage because it is no way to check whether the IMS bearing is on the way out or not. Don't worry about consumer report on engine failure, all those M96 engines are prone to IMS and RMS failure.
I suggest that after you buy one, get the IMS replaces as soon as you can.
Keep looking for one with lower mileage, more options and no accident record. Took me couple months to find one.
Looking at those 3 options, you might want to negotiate the price. They seem to be way overpriced (I think). I bought mine for $12.5K and it came with navigation, litronic headlamp, PSM and Bose sound system.
This is a good time to buy convertible. Nobody buys convertible (at least here in MI) in the winter. So if seller want to sell it, make them take a hit on price or wait until next summer. You also might want to look for 03 with glass rear window.

Last edited by laphan; 11-23-2010 at 02:15 PM.
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote