Thread: Q: alternator
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 01:49 AM   #12
tonycarreon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norminhouston
To think that you replaced an alt in a motel parking is impressive. Congrats!

Norm
i did have to ask one older gentleman who walked with a cane to walk back to his car and move it since he parked right next to me and i had to have the door opened for my feet to stick out. i felt like a d*(k.

i can see why removing the passenger seat would be helpful. it was quite hard to straddle the console with both seats pushed forward all the way. not something i want to do again.

in case anyone is curious, there was no need to put the top in service position or remove the carpeting / storage box from above the engine, only the front carpet and firewall.

all in all, not a hard job. mptoledo's write up was good as was mikefocke's. i started at 9:30 and had it all finished around 12:45 including the 1 hour walk to / from o'reillys to pick up the new alternator and give them the core. the hotel manager was kind enough to let me stay in the room until 1 so i could shower afterwards. i usually carry my small socket wrench set in case i need to replace the belt or do something else but i left them at home this time - whoops. made it back home at 2am monday morning.

grand total of 3200 miles roundtrip.