View Single Post
Old 07-29-2005, 09:38 AM   #5
limoncello

FWIT - one more data point -

I've got Sumitomo HTRZ IIs. Observations: They do fine in everyday driving. I have one track day on them. They were "ok" but mushy at the limits - may be a pressure problem. I plan to play with pressures next time out (Sep.). I got to drive them on a soaking wet track right after an afternoon thundershower. They had excellent grip in the wet. However!!! when they did finally lose grip, it would break abruptly and you really needed to be ready to catch it. This is in the context of "extreme" driving, and pushing it way hard until I found the limits. I would run at posted speed limits on any wet highway with them and never worry for a minute. I would not horse around heavily with any tire on a wet road. (A wet track - that's different).

They're cheap. Front $75 and rear $97 each at Tirerack.

But, in the end I will try a different tire next time around. The wet reviews I've read seem good on the OE Bridgestones, and I may try them next. People also seem to like them on the track. I've read some bad reviews on Pirelli's in the wet (good in dry). But these last two opinions are just "internet" knowledge, not first hand knowledge. There's a difference.

Lastly, any brand worn tire = no good in rain. If your backs get worn before the fronts as they tend to do, it could produce a suprising result on a wet corner or sudden evasive manuver.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote