View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 05:23 AM   #7
JoeFromPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
Ideally I would have liked dedicated snow tires on separate 17" rims but I don't have the luxury right now so I just got a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS performance all seasons. Tire Rack gave very good reviews on it. They do have softer sidewalls though and it was noticeable the first day I drove on them. So far I've noticed very good traction on cold wet roads. I drive to Buffalo about 1-2 times per month so when I hit snow in the next few weeks I'll let you know how they do.
Those tires will stick to dry/wet roads down to 20 degrees just fine and even do ok in a dusting of snow or modest slush.

On this car, they will not do well at all in 1-2 inches of snow, packed snow, snow + ice, or most other common conditions in the winter in that area. Those tires get "good" snow reviews for dealing with 1-2 inches on 3200 pound cars with far narrower tires than yours and with FWD.

Do not expect those tires to provide you with safe transportation on anything but plowed, salted roads with minimal accumulation.

Sorry to be a bad news bear, I'm just forewarning you...

Joe

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote