View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
mcfly777

Lightbulb Tip for removing adhesive/glue

Well, today I tried, and finally succeeded, in removing one of those transparent adhesives to protect the headlights. Since one of the borders was lifting, I thought it would be quick to remove it.

After peeling the adhesive, I tried what most people probably have at home and swear by: Goo-gone. No help, the layer was very thick. I also read that WD-40 was good, also not much better. Finally, I went to Autozone and got PB Blaster, which was better, but my job would still take the entire day.

Finally, I just thought I should try something to mechanically remove the adhesive, and got a small plastic broad knife... after this, the job took 10 minutes.

So, if I have to do this again, I would:
- Generously apply one of the above (Goo-gone, WD40 or PB Blaster). They are probably not that much different, though if I had it available, I'd try PB Blaster.
- Wait. And then wait some more (10-20 mins). That's when the adhesive becomes really soft
- Remove everything with the broad knife (plastic only !).

So, FWIW, just leaving this one here. Maybe some (most ?) of you know this, but it took me a while to find info online.

best
mcfly
mcfly777 is offline   Reply With Quote