View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 08:18 AM   #15
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike
I don't think pointing out a band-aide on a serious engine design flaw is a positive.
The probability of having your engine self-grenade from an IMS failure is probably a long blink of an eye. The number of IMS upgraded engines that have imploded because of an IMS failure is probably microscopic. Of those who've done the upgrade I've yet to hear of more than one disgruntled Carrera or Boxster owner. A first time Porsche buyer over reacts to the slightest warning. In this day and age with Google and a long list of Porsche forums it will take about 5 minutes for a potential buyer to find out about the IMS issue. Any buyer who has done even a little homework will get hip to it, not pointing it out won't ensure a thing and when the buyer does ask about it you're going to say "yes I have the IMS upgrade". Particulary when the longest threads by number of pages and thus most search hits are for this very subject. Someone familiar with the internet and forums seems to be inline with the typical German sports car buyer. How many times has a potential yet leary buyer logged onto one of these forums asking about RMS and IMS failures? I've lost count. To date, this is the only action you can take for a flawe that could turn your entire investment into vapor by simply turning the ignition key.
The insurance company doesn't give a damn about all this or that you faithfully changed your oil every six months instead of every three years. They'll pay you the same for the engine. The value in an IMS upgrade is the usual value of buying an enthusiast owned and well-maintained car.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-01-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote