View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
ALarracuente

I personally prefer Optima gel batteries like AndyA6 but could not find one low enough to fit the Boxster.

Now, Porsche batteries are most likely made by Bosch. In my opinion, save youself some seriuos dough and just buy a Bosch battery from PepBoys, or any other place, unless you MUST have Porsche logo on everything,

I just rebuild/upgraded my engine from 2.5 -2.9 and 11:1 to 12:1 compression and found useful to upgrade the battery to a bigger Bosch battery with more cranking power and charge. The additional cranking power may be useful in cold states as well.

If you prefer low weight vs. reliability and power, go smaller like AndyA6 suggest.

This is the battery I got. It definetely looks OEM in my view, white and all, very Porsche-like

Bosch Part Number: 49-850B
Size Code: 64
SKU: 9073755
Warranty: 36 Mo Free replacement, 96 mo Pro-rated
Cost: around $142.99 in Puerto Rico, maybe lower in the 48 states

It is long and tall but it will fit on the Boxster battery tray without cover or tray modifications. The only catch is that you have to use the very first bolt hole on the tray. Normally, it does not come with thread (at least not in mine) but is there and is made for that purpose for sure.

I took the tray out and placed an M10 bolt of sufficient length up through the hole then, bolted the tray back on. To prevent the bolt from spinning while you tighten the battery holder, use an open wrench to hold the bolt head from the bottom of the tray. There is just enough clearance between the tray and the body for this. Use an appropriate nut to tighten the battery holder in place.

Somebody suggested to me to use spot weld, JB Weld or epoxy to fix the bolt head to the bottom of the pan to keep it from spinning while tightening the nut at the top. Personally, I found it simpler to use a wrench and, that way, no major mods are made to the car in case you want to revert the changes in the future.

HTH,
Alfredo

Last edited by ALarracuente; 08-30-2010 at 07:51 PM.
ALarracuente is offline   Reply With Quote