View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 06:14 AM   #16
trube78

A few thoughts

hc,

1. The 2000 Boxster is way overpriced. If it is dealer certified and perfect Edmunds prices it at about 16K with some costly options. Note ensure the 15K service is done before you buy it.

2. The 2002 S is in the ballpark for a dealer car if perfect (actually about 1-2K high depending on options.)

3. M3s are interesting, but a completely different animal. Not as good in the twisties if stock, but incredible on the highway. The engine is a beast but they had some problems and maintenance is more $$$ than Porsche once BMW quits paying. Gas mileage is terrible if you drive like an old lady you may hit 15 in town and almost 20 on the highway. Driving it normally think 13 and 18 and if you get on it at all 12 and 16. I had an 04 Cab, best highway driver I ever had good but not great in the twisties. Overall I have liked my Boxsters more. M3s are frequently rode hard and put away wet. Get a good pre-purchase check and if possible get a certified one. Final note -- every fast and furious wanna-be with a pumpkin chucker muffler wants to race you (I was in Pensacola, FL at the time.) My wife hated the fact that at about 1/2 the lights some chuckle head was gunning his engine and or beeping his horn trying to get me to race.

A few thoughts on Boxsters. I have owned an 01, 02, 02S, 06, and 09. Currently own an 02 and 09. Get an 03 or later ... too many improvements (rear window, interior, etc.) and a low mileage 04 base or higher milage 03S should be in that range. Gen 2s have many advantages (HP, interior, better options) although some folks think the Gen 1 is better looking and some don't. There is a thread on the board that is all over the looks thing. An 06 Base can be had for about 25K and it is near an older S in HP but not torque. However, the 05 MY had reliability problems (so my dealer says.)

IRT 911 I have lusted after a 911 Cab C4/C4S on many occasions. For 20K it may not be the best DD unless you are a pretty good wrench.

Final note, I am sure you will hear both sides but the Porsche Certified program is pretty solid and can be had for not a whole lot of $$$ (of course it has to be bought from a dealer.) This time of year, if you find a dealer with a lot of used cars on the lot you can strike some deals that will surprise you and get CPO thrown in for $500 bucks or so.

Hope this helps.
Best,
Tom
trube78 is offline   Reply With Quote