View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA
Pk - Subaru's doors have been famous for being incredibly tinny sounding when shutting. However, Subaru's door framing (a & b pillar for example) is obscenely strong. So the car is solid, but it doesn't shut with solidity mainly due to the frameless windows.

If your passenger side was t-boned, my guess is that the body shop put it back together nice and tight. Might want to look at taking the driver's side door off altogether and re-starting from scratch, if it bothers you that much. Did you notice it progressively get worse, or just one day "there it was"?

You might also be able to put in some un-obtrusive rubber bumpers that dampen the door shutting and hold it very tight.

Just some ideas....such a minor thing that happens before you even drive off to let it bother you
---------------------------------------------------------------------
All this input is really helpful as it’s making me focus on different areas, think them through and come to a tentative conclusion.

Ya know JoeFromPA, The door fits square as ell, (the manual has some measurements but they’re splitting hairs so I haven’t broken out the micrometer) It fits visually better then the passenger side where it’s a little off up by the “A” pillar.

I don't really recall when it started bothering me. That a good question though, goes to the possibility of wear somewhere.

I begining to think maybe my whole window /mechanism/guides/assembly is off or loose or some bushings are gone making it slop around. When you slamm it the door would stop dead and the mechanism would keep going for a split second than “clunk” a micro-delayed secondary hit.

So I think the experimenting with dampers are a good Idea but maybe inside the door too?

Regards, PK

P.S. Regarding Subarues, One of my post reference Lexus’s sound/vibration dampening strategies. I’ve worked for them and own one and it amazing the lengths they go to. Their dampening pads and the like are actually tuned to the exact frequency of various panels and components and strategically placed. I wonder if Sube. applied themselves in the same way there would be a different story.