View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Greenberg
What are the best upgrades for my stock Boxster, just one tweak up, for the street? Ones that actually show a performance difference.

On the engine side the "tuners" here in SE Florida all recommend an intake filter by EVO , the ecm flash, and either "gut the cats" or the Billy Boat exhaust.
some are saying 30 + HP/torque.

What works? Who's the best shop and ecm flash to use? Will the car still be reliable after the mods? Is it worth the $3 k.
Thanks
Most of us can relate to your questions from the time when we first bought our cars. The reality is that making power in a 2.7 is difficult and expensive. Forum member "edevlin" probably has the most tricked out 2.7 on this site but it took 2 years and $6k+ to get there. I think he enjoyed the journey but if asked I am not sure he would go down that road again. The other issue is that adding intake/chip/gutted cats makes the car no longer street legal in the US, although some states are more serious about enforcement than others.

I suggest to my students:
Ignore the shiny ebay lures and false hp claims, get a good set of tires and drive the car stock for a year. Once you are outrunning all other stock Porsches at the AX course and racetrack, then we should talk about building a real race car.