View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #17
AndyA6
Carnut

OK, I'll bite!

My '04S is my 7th Porsche.... Started with a 356, 928S, Carrera2, 911SC, Carrera4, Carrera2 and now the S.

The older Porsches have a very special "feel" to them, starting with the floor mounted pedals, the built quaity, sound, smell, handling and so on. So much history and fun, a true drivers car! Love them!

The 928S was a superb cruiser but in my opinion a Porsche should be a true sports car in the first place.

The Boxster is a great car. I don't like the built quality much, my Audi and even The TReg we have is miles better. However Porsche did a great job to mimic the aircooled sound which I love much. Handling is beyond any critics! And for the money there is practically no alternative. With time I will tune the ride a bit with go fast bits (already started!) and keep this as a toy only ride.

In Germany the Boxster is called the hairdresser version but this car is pure Porsche, nothing "girly"!

Porsche will always keep the 911/Carrera above the Cayman and Boxster but the true carnut will consider the midengined cars in mind as the "insider" alternative for less with better handling. Heck, the magazines here rate a Cayman over the Carrera all day long. Even if it's not the all out fastest car it wins every time because of the handling/steering/brakes etc. 'nough said!