View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
Lil bastard

I just got a near new 20 yr. old carrera 4 (964 - 1 owner, 20k mi.).

There is no comparison to the Boxster.

Not better or worse as a driving experience, just different. If Porsche didn't continually 'geld' the Boxster, I firmly believe it would overtake the 911 as their Flagship car. In terms of the sales numbers, it paces or outsells the 911, the Cayman is really just a sidenote with dismal, continually dropping, sales, it's been an utter sales failure for the company, perhaps a car with no niche.

What is better is the gobs of torque from the 3.6, and the build quality, maybe the provenance.

The Boxster is an assembly line car, the 964 is virtually hand built, and it shows. Close the door on the Boxster, and you get a nice confident feel to it. Close the door on the 964 and it's like closing a bank vault, solid, perfect.

Personally, I would not consider a water-cooled Carrera at all, though I admit many would disagree. Same M96 motor, same foibles - RMS, IMS, MAF, AOS, albeit with more oomph.

The modern cars are just as fast or faster. But the driving experience is definitely inferior to the air-cooleds.

It's interesting that for the same money that a 996 commands, you can only get into a nice 964, or a somewhat 'ratty' 993. That's either a testament to the 964/993, or a condemnation of the 996 - you choose.

My suggestion, find a nice 964 or 993. I think the difference will surprise you... in a nice way.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 08-12-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote