View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #8
hosickjg

If you have ever removed a transmission from almost any car you don't need a DIY to remove a Boxster transmission. Very easy to do, will take a couple hours.
A quick run down:
-Jack up car and secure on jack stands.
-Remove all lower covers.
-Remove suspension supports that run under transmission
-Remove exhaust system (can leave headers on) -- I was able to remove my stock exhaust system without removing the rear bumper but I understand not everyone can. You will have to try and see yourself. Much easier with 2 people!
-Using an Allen Key, remove right and left 1/2 shafts from transmission (tie them up with shoe laces so they are out of the way.
-Pop both shift linkages off transmission (can be done carefully with a flat screwdriver and a plactic hammer.
-Undue hydrolic line from slave cylinder and drain fluid into a container. Unhook electical plugs at the same time, they are beside the slave cylinder.
-Using a motorcycle jack you can support the transmission using 2x4s and the jack. You much support the engine at this point to. I used a 4x4 with a 2x4 hammer the the bottom and wedged it under the oil pan.
-Remove the 2 tranmission mounts located across from eachother middle section on the tranmission.
-Remove all bolts connecting the transmission to engine including the triple square one with a tool like i posted earlier in this forum.
-Slide transmission back and drop down.
-If you have an engine lock (Porsche tool) you can install it at this time and remove the clutch like any other clutch. I was a bad boy and locked the engine using the belt drive pulley (it has a slot that you can slide a 5/16th bolt in and lock the engine ((used for installing 2-4-6 pistons and timing the engine)). Also works for this purpose.
-Install new clutch and do everything in reverse.

I recommend having the flywheel re-surfaced or replaced at this point.

Good luck!
hosickjg is offline   Reply With Quote