View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
Frodo

Hey Jake (or anyone else with a well-reasoned opinion)

I was changing my oil/filter recently and something got my attention. I have the SPOFA and magnetic drain plug. I got to looking at the oil on the drain plug and rubbed my fingertip over it. What I got was a thin but noticeable shiny residue on my finger. Not really gritty at all, just felt/looked like wet, metallic shiny talcum powder. (I should have taken a pic, but I was home alone and, of course, my hands were a bit oily to be handling the camera.)

Considering this is an engine and it does has moving parts that do rub against each other (even though in a well-lubricated fashion) plus the fact that I now have this strong magnet grabbing most everything metallic that flows past it, are my findings particularly unusual, or is this a definite red flag?

I still have the filter (a WIX spin-on)---would it be useful to cut it open? If so, do you just go at it with a hacksaw, or is there an easier way?

I ask, of course, because I (like many Boxster owners) am concerned about possible IMS issues. BTW, the car has 52K miles.

Opinions??
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote