Thread: new windshield?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
davemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02box
I took a rock off a big truck this morning on my usual commute. left me with a nasty spider crack. any problem getting new glass for these cars? I'm just beginning the glass search.

thanks, Pat

2002 boxster
This was me a month ago. I was heartbroken. 1/4 mile behind the next vehicle which was two lanes over. A rock flew from the dumptruck's direction and miraculously finds me.

My insurance offers free windshield repair service, the replacement service would get into the deductible. I went with the free option to see how it would look. They did a great job, it looks like a small pinpoint water mark on the windshield. Still bugs me, but considering the crack and the result, I'm very happy with the service. The repair service offered a replacement for $350 if I was ever unhappy with the repair for any reason, no questions asked.

Oh just be sure to keep the glass cool before getting it repaired. I had to garage mine overnight and get it done in the morning. The tools they use put a lot of stress on glass and the hot glass is more proned to break.