View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 05:21 AM   #18
Dragonwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwburg
The additional costs can come if the machine finds the tire is out of round. The system will then have the operator take the tire off the wheel and rotate it about the wheel to be re-mounted in a different position. If both the wheel and the tire have any raised spots you don't want them to be constructive making the whole assembly worse.

Obviously I don't know if this is why you were charged $100, but this can cause additional labour when balancing and could cause a variable price for the balancing.
It takes an hour of labor to do + materials. I had a shake that nobody could balance out, even with brand new tires. I brought it to get road force balanced, and they discovered that the left rear was out of spec, but by matching the balance of the wheel to the tire they got it smooth. In fact, it has NEVER ridden as smooth as it does now. There was no 'selling 'it costs this much everywhere. In fact if you are being charged more than that then I would question it.

I like the indie shop I go to but I tried three times for them to get it right and I even watched one time, saw their machine read 0.00 and it still had a shake over 70. From now on I'll always just order tires to my house and bring the to the Toyota dealership to get put on and RFB.

Chris