View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
BrentMcK

Unhappy Reply

I am glad I posted this so others would see.

The old days of simply getting the recall letter from a US dealership or Porsche Cars North America are done! They are no longer allowed to provide the letter to people exporting a Porsche vehicle.

My first experience was in May of 2008 and it was as easy as faxing my bill of sale showing I owned the car to PCNA and they immediately sent me the required clearance letter. Simple ... easy ... no frustration. Off to Canuck tire and done.

Now the game has changed and the US dealers won't touch this for fear of losing their franchise. PCNA tells you that you have to go to a Canadian dealership and go through the process ... at a significant cost I might add ... before they will consider a providng the clearance letter. Any and all modifications identified must be carried out by a Canadian Porsche dealership ... again at a significant cost.

Don't be fooled folks ... the old days are gone. Since Parche Cars Canada has split from Porsche Cars North America, they are hell bent on protecting their "market" and deterring anyone from importing a Porsche car.

Before you buy a US vehicle .. be sure you unserstand the new process fully. When you call a Canadian dealership and ask what modifications are required they generally only tell you about the DRL and the change to KM's (4 Dealerships told me the same thing). I thought no big deal right. When I got the car here, they pull out a 1/4 inch thick inspection booklet and it became a whole lot more involved. Like I said .. even checking to see if my servicing was up to date, if the tires were Porsche "N' spec approved ... an on and on. Not sure what either have to do with meeting or exceeding the CMVSS regulations.

Let's just say that Porsche used to be great to deal with ... they aren't anymore!
BrentMcK is offline   Reply With Quote