View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 12:44 AM   #20
eightsandaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
okay, I listened to that sound file of the spark plug chirp..

my chirp noise sounds VERY similar to that one in terms of the actual noise - but the chirping in that video is 100x more prevalent than mine..the car in that video had nonstop chirping as it idled... my car ONLY makes ONE brief chirp at very low speed when I pull away from a stop or slow speeds...i hear a very brief "chirp" and then it's gone...

sometimes it doens't do it... but when it does chirp, you hear it..and I know it's therte..and it didn't use to do it..so something is worn / wearing out / such that it's making this intermittent chirp noise...

if my spark plug is "barely" loose..woudl it make tjhe sond only under certain conditions..such as mine..like pulling away from a stop... ??

and also - is thsi somethign I can fix witgh regular hand tools myself or do I need a mechanic with special porsche tools to tighten the spark plugs?

can all spark plugs be accessed from the engine bary or do you need to get at them from whels wells and remove the wheel liners??? thanks. i have no frickin clue how to get to them...

Dude,

Don't be nervous, it's going to be OK. You will need a metric hex (allen) wrench for the two fasteners on each coil. A long extension, a flex joint and a plug socket. You can either access the plugs from underneath the lower pan or the wheel wells if so equipped, (I'm not sure if other year models have them).

The wheel wells are the easiest and hey if you are worried, don't replace the plugs, just tighten them a bit and check for the noise. I don't have my Bentley manual in front of me so I don't know the plug torque, what I can tell you is if you work without a torque wrench, don't horse on the plugs, snug is good for test purposes.

good luck, report back

Last edited by eightsandaces; 07-22-2010 at 12:46 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote