View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
MN 986

Garage
'Porsche Sport Drive' event

Today was a great day, and I have to share it!
2 weeks ago, I got an email from one of the local Porsche dealers inviting me to a 'Porsche Sport Drive' event. It said space was limited, so I reserved my spot (and a spot for a friend) immediately.
This morning we went to a local technical college that has a 2.8 mile road course, a skid pad area, and they also set up an autocross course. I was surprised at how hard they let us drive the cars, especially the Boxter Spyders.
First, they had 4 2011 Cayenne S SUVs and 4 2011 Panamera 4S sedans for the road course. The lead car had an instructor, and we played 'follow the leader' at speeds up to 90 MPH. Everybody got 2 laps in each car, and a few of us (including me) got 2 extra laps in the Panamera 4S.
Next, we went to the autocross area where we got to drive the Boxster Spyder (without an instructor) through a practice lap and a timed lap. Again, a few of us (including me) got to take an extra lap.
Last was a wet skidpad area with a figure 8 laid out. They had a 911 Carrera and a Cayman S available. Each person got about a dozen laps through the figure 8 with an instructor. The PSM was turned off, and they wanted you to stab the throttle just before the straight part of the figure 8 to kick the back end out, then teach you how to catch the spin with countersteer.
The local dealers said they decided to skip the annual new car auto show at the local convention center last March, and spend the money putting on this event. Everybody voted that they do it again next year. I know I will be there if they do!
I think this 'permagrin' will last a few weeks!

I know they take this event around the country, so has anybody else on this forum attended this event?
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote