View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #19
Aron in Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
IMS wasn't a problem on the 97' 2.5L. The 98-99' had cracking sleeve issues. The 97's has some issue like a porous block or something,I don't remember anymore.

IMS issues mainly started when Porsche redesigned it for 00'+,mainly the 3.2L on the 986S and 3.4L on the 996 have the issue. People say it's a major problem on the 2.5L & 2.7L,it's not,go on the Rennlist 996 NA section,you'll see how much of a problem it really is. (proportionality speaking)

(not that people have said the 2.5L and 2.7L don't have IMS failures....just that out of all the shops I've talked to,all the post on all these boards on the net.....the 2.5L and 2.7L hardly have IMS failures).
Just to add a bit more info (confusion) to the IMS issue. The early cars, pre-2000 IIRC had the double row IMS bearing that was switched to a single row bearing in the 2.7 and 3.2l engines then changed back to a double row around 2005. After reading many IMS failure stories on the net, it seems like the failure rate is highest on these single row IMS bearings in the years 2000-2004.
The 2.5 seem to be affected more with RMS leaks than IMS issues.
Some 97s also had issues with porous block castings that usually showed up early in their lives. In fact I have not read of a single porousity issue occurring in early motors since I’ve been following Boxsters starting around 2003.
And some later 2.5s had the slipped sleeve issue. This was in the 1998-99 range, but I’m not sure the exact manufacturing dates that were affected.