View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #9
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

I've had a reasonable amount of seat time in a '77S Targa, an '82SC coupe, and an '87 Carrera Targa. They're all great cars. I'd say that the '77 and the '82 are very similar in the way they feel in suspension and steering. The SC has more power, but both are very fun to drive. By '87, they were getting a little heavier. The steering still has the kickback and feedback that the earlier cars do, but the chassis feels just a little less lively. Even though the engine is stronger, the SC felt faster. They all sound FANTASTIC!

There are concerns with the reliability of the 2.7L cars from the mid-70s from the magnesium cases and chain tensioners. The SC is supposed to be one of the most reliable cars Porsche has ever made and it's great fun to drive. If it were me, I'd pick something from '75 to '83 but look really hard at the SC from '78-'83. Porsche switched from chrome to black trim in the middle of the 1977 model year, in case you're looking for the older or more modern look.

You mention that you want a targa. They can be leaky, and expensive to restore so look out for a top that may not be in great shape, among all the other things to look for.

Last edited by blue2000s; 07-08-2010 at 01:59 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote