View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #20
davemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppmo
" Realistically can they expect an insurance comp to drop $12k on replace every rice-widget imaginable when a $2k car is totaled? I don't think so."

All Insurance policies are not the same. You can have an "agreeed upon" policy.

Say I have a car worth 2k book value. But I put in a new engine - great sound system - rims, etc. Now I update my policy to an agreed upon value of 12K. So if my car is totaled or is stolen I get 12k - even though the book value is 2k. This is important to undestand if your car is out of the ordinary (i.e. nice new sound system, etc)
Agreed. It would depend on the policy and whether it covers aftermarket parts/upgrades. Not many do. Some may.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemon
Adding this amount of exposure should be accompanied with in increased premium, or alternatively a clause in the agreement that explicitly states all aftermarket upgrades will be covered in the insurance policy. I could be wrong but I strongly suspect no insurance company would offer a policy with these terms.
And PExpress, I agree there is a lot more you're getting with a $3500 sound system over a $1k sound system. I've delved into the world of car audio on many occassions and have done countless installs myself. The Ford : Porsche analogy rings so true. Many Ford Mustang drivers are telling us we're just deflating our wallets as well. Didn't a world of Mini owners just laugh at the $38k more expensive 996 for beating the Cooper by ONLY 2 seconds on a 70second track time? And another world of PCar owners laughed a Mini owners for not getting "it." Sound systems are the same way.

It have my share of $350/pc subs just sitting around and you can easily get into ~$1000 just to power these things. Diminishing return? Yes. Price to pay to squeeze more decibels out on the spl? Yes.

I hope that whoever stole these and gets busted and the insurance writes you a check. Sorry, but I do think you took on a lot of risk by putting these unlocked at midnight in Chicago, and that risk being having a long hard fight to get them reimbursed. Worst case scenario is you get a 987-S after graduation and forget about it all.

GL and glad to see audiophiles haven't completely died off.