View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #16
davemon

To play devil's advocate. When an insurance company offers a policy on a car that is valued anywhere from $10,000 to $13,000, they figure their exposure to be limited to this. That someone can one day toss in $3500 in a stereo, isn't part of the risk they initially took on and adds up to 35% risk exposure. Adding this amount of exposure should be accompanied with in increased premium, or alternatively a clause in the agreement that explicitly states all aftermarket upgrades will be covered in the insurance policy. I could be wrong but I strongly suspect no insurance company would offer a policy with these terms. How many $2k Civics are insured for dirt cheap and then riced out over the next year or 2 for another $10k. Realistically can they expect an insurance comp to drop $12k on replace every rice-widget imaginable when a $2k car is totaled? I don't think so.

Just my thoughts. Read your policy closely and if you think you have a good argument, then present that argument to a higher authority. Otherwise, this certainly stinks and I despise criminals, but at some point you have to recognize that you live in one of the largest cities in the US and thiefs are an unfortunate reality. At some point you alone assumed responsibility of leaving $3500 in stereo equipment under a soft top, at midnight, in Chicago, with the doors unlocked.