View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
trube78

What does your policy say?

That is really the only question at this point. If you went to SF and said my car is now worth 2kish more than it was yesterday due to a stereo they would/should raise your rate, with a convertible and a 2kish stereo maybe a bigger raise than you think. In addition if you had an alarm listed as part of the policy and it was not working that is not good. Most policies have a limit on what is covered beyond original equipment in a car. Few aftermarket and expensive stereos or fancy mods (wheels, exhausts, brakes, etc.) are covered unless you change the policy and pay. Think about it - if my car is broken into and I have a camera kit inside. I cannot expect it to be covered unless I pay insurance for the coverage.

I would read my policy, get my ducks in a row and then go to the BBB. Small claims is possible but more work.

Finally, realize from an insurance perspective you took out a radio that had some value and replaced it. The second it went in it's value (without depreciation) was less than 3400 since you must deduct the value of the Bose system you removed.

Probably not what you want to hear but I would bet you can get 500 for the stereo but would be shocked if they offered over 1000. I have done antiques, colectibles, modified cars, in the past. Increasing insurance coverage to cover the actual value was at best a pain and at worst a pain and to costly to make it worthwhile and I have a great insurance company with over 35 years and no claims.

Hope this helps. Best,
Tom
trube78 is offline   Reply With Quote