View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 12:31 AM   #59
chaudanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
ok, here is what i have seen with my car. It may be different with someone elses...

The battery does not get a good charge with the 4inch pulley on short rides and at idle. I have accidently run my battery down by playing my radio while in the garage, and the car can drive fine, start fine, but if the battery is already crap, then the alt does not seem to recharge it quickly.
Now if I am not stupid and keep my battery to start the car and nothing else, it does just great.
There is no bad side when driving with all electrics on. I have measured the output while driving and at 1000 RPM and greater the charge is 14 volts.

So there is not a downside to a 4 inch pulley that i can see. Just dont run your battery down with the car off.

So... you meant an underdrive and a larger steering pump? why would you do that? I have not noticed any downside to the steering.

Hmmm, interesting feedback. So for short rides, do you find the battery doesn't get sufficient charge to the point where you might have problems starting the car afterwards, and how long do you mean when you say that the alternator doesn't seem to recharge it quickly?

And with the car off, how long does it take for you run your battery down now? Say you're waiting around, and have the car off, with the radio on. Are we talking like 15-20 minutes of that and the battery gets depleted, or much longer periods?

Yeah, from my understanding, the underdrive system... for the crank pulley, underdriving is accomplished with a smaller diameter (than stock) pulley. On the other hand, for accessory pullies, further underdriving of the power steering pump, for example... is actually accomplished with a larger than stock diameter pulley, rather than a smaller diameter. It would take more linear belt movement for each single rotation, and thus each engine revolution it turns less times than it would compared to stock. Hope that makes sense...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts

Last edited by chaudanova; 06-30-2010 at 12:46 AM.
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote