View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 06:47 AM   #4
Lil bastard

Interesting that with the screen name anti-bling, you're looking for more of it.

Anyway, the pics are not very definitive, but it almost looks like these are not genuine Porsche Wheels but some aftermarket wannabes. I could be wrong, but the pics don't show the wheels that well.

They're definitely not Turbo wheels, maybe Turbo II. The Turbo wheels are actually a 993 part and have hollow spokes making them uber-light, I don't even think they're available from Porsche anymore. I have 18" 993 Turbo wheels on my '99 that I'm selling, and they're a major selling point.

If these are genuine Porsche wheels which were chromed, it's important that they were chromed the right way - 'restoration' chromed - 1st nickel, then copper, then the chrome. If not, they will begin to crack/peel in short order as aluminum alloy isn't a good media for chrome to bond to. It's possible they were done right, but more likely (due to cost) that it's a simple chrome job and you'll be unhappy down the road with them.

Personally, I don't like chrome wheels on these cars, think they date the car. If it were me, I'd sell them and get a nice set of proper (as in unmodified) silver wheels. Spacers, and the longer bolts to go with them, are not cheap and if you don't LOVE the chromed look, I would hesitate to add the expense.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote