View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
Bradster

Update:

After heating the mounting bolt, it turned with a pipe wrench about a turn and then sheared off again. There was more bolt to grab on to, so I reheated the bolt and turned it some more with the pipe wrench and a pipe. There is no rust or corrosion evident. I assume that, with almost no bolt to grab, I will now have to drill the bolt out being careful not to destroy the threads inside the strut, although I suspect that they must already be ruined.

Never heard of a bolt that would break free, turn, and then shear off twice more. Its almost as if the bolt and the mounting hole have merged and welded together on their own. I have owned a lot of cars and never seen anything like this. (Wish I had left the rotor on.) I believe I am the first to remove the mounting bolts.

Anyway, I just thought I would re-post to see if anyone had any other ideas. I am at a loss at his point. Replacing the strut over a mounting bolt seems like a bad dream. Obviously, even if I get the bolt out, the internal threads likely will be shot.

As always, thanks.

Bradster.
Bradster is offline   Reply With Quote