View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
stiggerq

Roof fitted.......

Hi guys, quick update

Last weekend I chose to replace the roof myself. having the spare with me inspired a little confidents.. Took about 2 hours. Worst bit was aligning the gear boxes either side, chose to strip them down and overhaul with new grease etc. Set them at mid point ( the gear is only approx 200 degrees in size) All fitted back together. The broken cable was easy enough to fix as there is plenty of spare at the end. took the silver crimped collet off and used a set of pipe cutters to remove about 25-30 mm of the black sheath. As the square drive is continuous inside I then had enough fresh material to fit back into the drive (once the collet was replaced). Setting up the drive equally was not too bad as long as you use a battery drill on the end of the square drive to locate each boomerang bracket and linkage. Job done. Also removed the wallet when rebuilding the back section as this was IMO rubbish. Much prefer the carpet look.

Next booked it in for a service instead of roof install and as it was a major ( Doh only had it two months, should have checked !!) £600 pounds later and an additional £600 for a set on Continental tyres. So we are skint but up and running !!!
Glad I did the install my self and sourced that parts as I think I have saved A LOT of money.

Love the car but boy has it cost me !!

Next project lower control arms requires replacement!! Ho-Hum.....

Thanks for all your help and advice !!
stiggerq is offline   Reply With Quote