View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #14
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
Congrats LB...I've always been a 911 guy, having owned countless examples and variations. 964s have been somewhat unloved, but they are great cars to drive, though the C4s can have their issues (what Porsche doesn't?)

You probably know already, but the car doesn't appear to have the vent hose update kit on the dual distributor; a known weak point on the early cars. The drive belt can break causing the second unit to freeze in one position causing spark havoc with the second set of plugs.

You've found a magnificent example, though at the expense of someone whom was a great caretaker.

You'll enjoy the car, the 3.6 power and continue with top down driving pleasure!
Thanks. Yes, I've read about the tendency for Ozone to buildup in the dizzy and destroy the rubber drive belt to the 2nd distributor, and that the fix was a simple vent kit to vent the ozone away, but didn't realize you could visually detect it in photos - thanks for that... any source for the kit?

Also, the AWD is actually pretty robust, it's known weak link is the front diff input shaft seal sorta the 964 equivalent of RMS (what is it with Porsche and shaft seals? The Rest of the World doesn't seem to have trouble with them!), but the front diff on this car is dry. Also, reputably, the AC system isn't the best in the world - bad hose seals, etc.

I have the full 964 Factory Manuals, which have been my bedtime reading the past couple weeks. My wife remarked:"You're such a sexy man!" (of course she's right about that... though I'm pretty sure she meant it facetiously).

You seem to know these cars pretty well, any other pearls you'd like to share? TIA!

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote