View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 06:46 AM   #17
crod

Garage
Well we need to remember that once the car is in good shape (meaning most major repairs are done) the Boxster is not that expensive at all to maintain.
When I got mine I did a couple things on it:

- Replaced the MAF ($400).
- Bought all rotors/pads (as I know I will have to change them sometime in the next 4-8 weeks - $500).
- Bought a new clutch kit ($400).
- Replaced all 4 tires ($700 with Hankooks V12 - great summer tires).
- Replaced one of the rear toe adjustment bars ($300).
- Replaced the plastic window ($250)

So basically so far I spent around $2500 and I am planning on spending another $700 to get the clutch replaced and the rotors/pads put it (my local mechanic charges $72/hr and worked for Porsche for many years before opening his own shop). When I do the clutch I will of course do the RMS/IMS what may add another $800-$1000. So adding all up and I may be at $4200.

But once this is done I do not expect the car to need anything else in the short term (8-12 months) meaning if I had budgeted $100 a month I am sure I would have $1200 handy after a year to do whatever is required and again, as all the major stuff would be done already, it should be more than enough for my yearly maintenance needs. Note mine is a 2001 S that I got with 35k original miles.
I would budget myself around $200 a month and again, assuming the car is ok and had all major things taken care of before you buy it (what a PPI would show) that number should be good to go.

Problem with Boxsters is they are indeed a box of surprises. You may run then forever with nothing more than regular maintenance or luck may bite you and you end up with an IMS failure that will cost anywhere between $7k to $15k to fix.

If you cannot afford the 'Boxster IMS Lottery' I would say it is not for you.

My 2c.

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote