View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #16
Kale

IMS failure theory

Excellent forum gentleman.

My 1999 just turned 40K miles. It's never overheated but in Hawaii it's 72-86 degrees year round. Water temp gauge is seldon above 185. Air conditioner never used......top is always down. No oil leaks and the Box get new blood every 5K. Never over RPM'd above 6000 and never lugged under 2500. Electronically re-engineered with original factory settings to maximize gas mileage 24 city/30 hwy. (Sorry Al Gore) no emission standards in Hawaii. This also increased horsepower by 50-75 and my 99 2.5L now leaves my neighbors 2002 3.2L S in the rear view mirror. Treat it with respect and it will last forever. I personally have met 3 people with IMS failure, and they all have tried to have the RPM gauge do cartwheels. Bad idea. Constant High RPM's allows for that little intermediate shaft bearing to go bizerk. Bad design,......but when you know the cause of failure you avoid what causes failure. High oil temp and high water temp,.....equates to cracked heads and coolant leaking into cylinders, and thus internal motor failure.
Kale is offline   Reply With Quote