View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbelton
The other day I let a friend of mine drive my 98... and all of the sudden I have this moment of inspiration where I came up with this brilliant theory (LOL, we need to blame it on something) about the IMS failure based on the way he drove it. I learned driving in a stick shift car, I never owned an automatic car, and I think my dad taught me well, so I am always trying to make my driving as smooth as possible. Anyone can drive stick, but what really makes a difference is the way you shift. Shifting should be almost unnoticeable. You need to aim for quality when you shift, not shifting like crazy as many people do. Well this friend of mine would realease the clutch in a very abrupt way, not once, or twice, but pretty much all the time. Multiply that for 15K miles and you have an stressed engine due to abrupt changes in torque ( that stresses the timing axel and thus the bearing) , or underreving prior to stall, or when the ac kicks in (sometimes my rpm drops below 500 and I hear some noise from the engine if I am in gear), add everything up and there is your IMS failure. That why, accoding to what I read, that boxsters with automatic transmission are less prone to it, shifting is usually smooth and there is no stalling at a red light or underreving due to not pushing the gas enough. I dont know, it could be the biggest BS you guys have ever heard, but in my mind it makes sence. It is evident that there is a flaw, and that the engine shoud be designed to take it, but this car is not a toy, it is by far the hardest I have ever driven, it is not easy to deal with the extra hard clutch and shifting isnt always smooth. After driving it for a couple of months I took my old vw corrado for a ride.......boy, I thought the clutch had broken, it went all the way in as if it had no spring, so soft, so easy to drive....
I think this has some merit. Heavily loading that bearing with poor shifting technique during times of limited lubrication (cold engine) could very well be a factor. Add long oil change intervals with Mobil 1, long periods of non-use with garage queens, and a possible poor bearing alignment when new and you have the IMS failure matrix.

JFP is right that there is a higher incidence of failure between 40-60K miles but they can and do fail at nearly every mileage logged. I don't agree that hitting the track is necessarily hard on the IMS due to rough shifting. Seasoned track guys often have the smoothest and most seamless shifts. They have learned that it is not necessary to flog the car in order to turn some quick laps.