View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
PlayersExpress

Hmmm... everyone makes a valid point. To be honest I have a sentimental value attached to the car because I worked 3 long summers doing construction during high school to save up for it, and my parents did chip in a few thousand too as a birthday present to pay for the taxes, plates, new tires, insurance, etc. when i first bought the car 4 years ago.

4 years ago the car had 89k miles on it and KBB'd at 17k. Since it was a family friend, and elder Alderman of Cincinnati who sold us the car, for a modest price of 11.1k. It was by far the cheapest boxster around 4 years ago with the best mileage and taken care of properly.

4 years, 2 minor accidents, and almost 59k miles later... the car is in no means show room condition. Rock chips in the paint on the hood, my clear coat has many scratches from a shop using a rubbing compound, and just typical wear and tear on the outside and in.

Just a couple weeks ago after my bose stereo system blew out I had it replaced to the tune of almost a few grand.

Admittedly I would be lucky to get 8k on the car if I sold it Private, probably closer to 6.5k-7k and with just investing $3500 in a new stereo system and new tires.... you catch my drift. I would rather not part the car out because of the time hassle of dismantling, selling the parts, and it would take up garage space that I'd rather use for a working car.

Simply put, my dilemma is if I want to keep the car as is until the engine goes, sell the car which I have attachment to, or drop another 8-15k in the car over the next year and a half with a new(er) engine, redo the interior to match the new sound system, body kit, a repaint, and of course new rims, and a new suspension.

I have a lot of thinking to do. I love the car, both sentimentally and for the wonderful piece of machinery it is.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile..._4015248_n.jpg
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote