View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
schoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly
Many thanks for your help with this guys.

I've sussed out its a cable problem and now i know where the motor is and what to look for i will investigate furhter.
i was wondering if anyone had any cable fitting guides?
oh and your right its a 97 986 in primrose yellow!
Thanks guys, look foward to any help and advice,
Polly
Polly:

If you still have the original "A Version" transmissions (those with the half-moon gear inside) on your '97, the cable is difficult to remove from the rear of the transmission. The inner drive cable is a very tight press fit in the worm gear, and , while it is possible to get it out, it's not easy. You can try by clamping a vise-grip on the square part of the cable then use a pair of diagonal side cutters against the vise-grip to press against and lever off the worm drive.

The inner cable is shaped on each end with four sides, and in between it's round so that it can spin freely inside the black vinyl sheath. One end of the cable goes into the side of the motor. The other end is connected to a worm gear that is located on the inside the transmission. That worm gear then is connected to and acts on a half moon gear with 50 teeth.

Here is a photo of the innards, courtesy of Tool Pants:

I would first check to see if one or both of the cables are actually driving the V-lever on each side, and whether the only problem is that the outer sheath of the cable has stretched so as to effectively "pull" the inner cable out of its intended spot inside the side of the electric motor.

To do that, once you pull out one of the cables from the side of the motor, insert the inner speedometer-type cable into the chuck of a cordless drill (on its lowest torque setting) and spin it in either direction, while observing whether the V-lever is turning. If the V-lever is not turning, then either the cable is broken or frayed on the inside of the sheath, or the transmission has gone past the 50th tooth of the V-lever.

BEFORE you start spinning the transmission via the cable, be sure to mark the exact position of the V-lever so that you can bring it back to that exact position. This will facilitate the re-synching of the transmissions once you are done.

The drive cable is a very tight press fit in the worm gear but you can get it out. Clamp a vise-grip on the square part of the cable then use side cutters against the vise-grip to lever off the worm drive.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote