View Single Post
Old 07-01-2005, 05:21 AM   #13
ukchris

I love my SmartTop, I think it is quite expensive at $200 but makes the roof easier and just an all round nicer experience. The one exception would be the people doing the chop, I have glass so that isn't relevant to me.

One-touch is how it should be, I know it doesn't make a big time difference, it's just "right". As I pull in to park I tapthe button once and the roof is reay to latch when I am at a standstill.

More importantly, for me, I have a tip and rarely use the hand brake, as such that need was always a pain. I set of a couple off times with it still engaged!

Probably the best point for me is putting the roof up while moving. Let me stress that wouldb more accurate to say while not at a complete stop, in park with the hand brake on". I left work the other day and it was warm but gloomy, I'll be on a highway ging slow for half an hour so ordinarilly would not have been able to stop and put the roof up, now, in 15mph Boston traffic, I can with one click.

Now, as for those hacks, I was tempted but decided not to as it removes the speed restriction completely and could be dangerous. Bending/ breaking / taping pin 18 removes the speed check completely, your roof will work at any speed. There is also another pin that you can ground to remove the hand brake check if you're interested.

I kow both work well and many swer by them, I just wouldn't want to risk someone pushing the hood up button at 65mph. I suppose keeping the hand brake check in place would prevent this, but that was one of the main things I wanted to avoid needing to do.

I have no affiliation with any of these solutions, just passing on my experiences.
ukchris is offline   Reply With Quote