View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 03:37 AM   #1
pothole

Difficulty getting consistent oil level reading

Hi guys

I'm a new Boxster owner having difficulty getting an oil level reading. Unfortunately it's not awfully flat where I live and the car is typically parked on all sorts of inclines and cambers. I was initially alarmed the other day when I primed the ignition and the oil level indicator suddenly showed empty with the bottom bar flashing having been accustomed to it showing full - also checked the dipstick and it was looking very low / dry. Then I realised it was parked in a different orientation than usual, so I shifted the car, came back in 20 mins and sure enough the level was a couple of bars below max and there was some oil on the bottom of the stick.

Checked back again in the morning and now the level if full max (biut not over max) on the screen and about half way between the notches on the stick. Slight problem is that even now the car isn't on completely flat ground. I can get it to flat ground, but it's not awfully convenient to leave it there overnight.

Anyway, I've been reading around and some indications suggest that the best way to get the level is to fully warm the oil up and then park up on perfectly level ground for 30mins - I think it's a case of wanting to get the level when the oil is warm and expanded to avoid overfilling. Would people concur? At this point I'm finding it a bit hard to be sure what the level is really at!
pothole is offline   Reply With Quote