View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 05:22 AM   #1
ollie526

Should I buy this '97 986...?

I found out about a 97 Boxster with 77k miles inc hardtop and bodykit for sale for $5,500. I did an autocheck and it came back at 91 with everything checking out great til 2/08. Since then it has no records. It is owned by one of those random gas stations with a half dozen cars in the lot and the guy said he has too many cars and needs to get rid of it. It was traded in by a woman apparently who said her Miata was easier to get in and out of.

He says the clutch is good and it drives well, but does have some problems:

-Needs two front tires (no big deal)

-Has a tear in softtop window

-Windows have a problem where they don't go up and down correctly with the button. When you turn the key in the door, they work. (I originally thought regulator but maybe just the window switch?)

-The remote does not unlock the door (hopefully a battery but if not, what else would cause this?)

If these issues have been discussed in the forum previously, I am sorry. I am on a very short timeframe. I am going to see it tomorrow (5/15) and will likely just hand him the cash if it looks good. The local Porsche pre purchase inspection is $335 so I don't know if I should pay that and wait another week to get it (the car is almost 3 hrs away) or take my chances.

Any quick advice would be helpful! I'm an Acura guy and I know nothing about Porsches aside from wanting one! Thanks
ollie526 is offline   Reply With Quote