View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
justinr

DIY Subwoofer box that doesn't sacrifice the footwell!

I've been searching for some time for a subwoofer solution but have not been able to find anything I liked, so I decided to build it myself. I was fortunate enough to have 3 Focal 5" subwoofers given to me by a relative, but my design could definitely be modified to fit a shallow mounted 8" subwoofer as well. I found that footwell mounted solutions as well as trunk mounted subwoofers were too intrusive. The seats are not high enough to fit a sub directly underneath, not to mention that the front/ rear adjustment bar would hit a box if you try to use the full width between the seat rails.

My solution: I made a box that mounts the driver behind the seat, but wraps around below the seat as well. This gives the box extra volume (about .33 cubic feet in my case) without making a box that is too deep (restricting rearward movement) or being too high which restricts your seat from reclining. I made the box out of MDF and fiberglass (for the back) and painted it black to match my exterior. Note that I angled the box under the seat which allows the seat to be lowered down somewhat.
justinr is offline   Reply With Quote