Thread: Transmission
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 06:35 AM   #17
itoy

Finally, I replaced the transmission fluid & filter on my 2002 Boxster (Base) Tiptronic. The drain plug anf filler plug are located under the tansmission fluid pan. To access this place, I followed what LilBastard's instruction said. I removed the diagonals and the stress plate. Then found the small drain bolt and big filler bolt. When I drain the fluid, I collected almost 5.5 quarts of dark brown fluid. My car has a 69k miles on it. When I bought this car, maintenance records is unknown. The fluid pan itself has so many bolts (#27 Torx). Contrary to LilB's description, all of small bolts of the pan are the same in lenght.

After removing the pan, I replaced the filter and cleaned the pan and the 6 magnets. Then, I placed the new gasket and bolted back the fluid pan. I pre-heated all 8 quarts to about 38 deg. C per LilB's instructions. I used my old vegetation killer container that I bought from Home Depot and converted it to pump transmission fluid. Everythings went smoothly. I manage to fill in almost 5 quarts of fluids. Start the engine, step on the brake and shift the stick from P to R, wait 10 seconds then N to D, wait 10 seconds, then back to P and shut off the engine. I did go back under the car, open the filler bolt and top in more fluid. I did this 3 times before the filler hole started to over flow.

The hardest part that I encountered is the stress plate is so hard to put back. The holes are not aligned! I have to curse so many times before I manage to force it back to the bolts. Wheww! I almost give up on this one. But anyway, my only concern right now is why I got 6 quarts out but manage to put back 5 quarts only? I waited for 6 hours for the transmission to cool down but when I open the filler bolt, the fluid came out. I closed the filler bolt immediately and thinking maybe I need to warm it up again so I can add more fluid. So I start the engine for 5 minutes then open the filler bolt, the fluid came out again so I closed the hole immediately. I meassured the temperature of the fluid ans it is around 37 deg C. I am wondering why it is always like that. I drove the car for 10 miles in the highway so the gears can go up to the 5th. then went back home and wait till the fluid cools down. Then I open the filler hole again and the fluid came out.

I really dont know now how can I add more fluid to equal the amout of fluid that I taken out. Maybe the original owner overfilled the transmission before? I dont know, the car is running great now and that is the most important. Thank you to everybody and to LilBastard for the great instructions.
itoy is offline   Reply With Quote