View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
drem914

So what would you do next to the audio system?

I know speaker and audio upgrades have always been a point of departure for discussion and debate for many in the Boxster world.
Let me relate my current steps and ask for suggestions on the possible next step or two in this current the journey. Each change has been an improvement to the system and has been very economical to do, so far for around $200 including S&H.

I bought my car used about a year and half ago. The base system in my 2001 2.7L is the M490 option with a CDR-220 head unit, OEM 2-way front dash speakers and OEM door speakers.
Step One:
Added the OEM rear speaker kit ($80 from Suncoast while they ran their special) to existing rear storage compartment. Speakers ARE connected to CDR-220 head unit through the rear speaker output.
The result was better overall audio balance and presence.
Step Two.
Swap out the OEM HAES 4-channel M490 to a 6-channel HAES unit from a 911 Cabrio ($40.) The rear speakers now connected to the new amp.
The result was a better low end response. I believe it is because all the audio is sent out through the 6 channel and the internal crossovers instead of mixing the 4 channel and the head unit amps/crossovers.
Step Three:
Replace front OEM speakers with Polk Audio db401 speakers ($30.) I used the little adapter kit available on eBay. If I had to do it again, I would just cut apart the old speaker basket and use that as the adapter instead.
The result though was finally some clear highs and mids, but not it was not as well integrated with the rears.
Step Four:
Add Polk Audio db1001 tweeters to the rear OEM speakers($30.) I searched high and low for replacement of the OEMs. I found it just easier to add these than try to cut new baffles and mount a pair of 3-1/2” speaker on each side
Result. Better rear highs and integration with front speakers.

What next? What will be the next most economical upgrade with the most impact? Replace door speakers with 6-1/2” Polk’s or JL Audio and redo the door panel enclosures. Seems like the simplest next step except for the door panel removal. The other upside is that I get a chance to Dynamat the door metal and reduce some of the misc. rattles when the speakers play or I close the car doors
1. Replace head unit. This means new harness connections or adapters and I also don’t really want to go and do the whole double-din change out. If anything it would be a single din unit replacement
2. Replace the OEM 6-channel for all or just for the existing door subs as part of a head swap.
3. Add dedicated sub & box in passenger footwell and new amp in front trunk.

So far each step has been an improvement on the last and I want to keep it that way.
Any and all advice will be taken under consideration and I will happily let you know how it turns out.

Thanks,

Franz