View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
BikerDrew

New to this forum

Hi all; NOOB here, Thanks for providing this great source for 986 owners. I have previously owned early VW's ( 1957 and back) and Mercedes SLK cars, which I worked on as required. I am a concourse trophy winner for a 1957 Type 1 I restored while in college (1982) . I was member 61 of The Vintage Volkswagen Club of America. I was a moderator for the Mercedes forum a couple of years back. I always wanted a Porsche, so here is my experience so far.

Two years ago I purchased a 2002 Boxster S with a Manual transmission, black on black and have been working on it ever since. It presently has just turned 60k miles. So far , I have personally performed the following repairs/fixes:

a new climate system display, removal of baby seat stickers on visors, de-badge trunk lid, new clutch and related parts, new RMS, upgraded IMS cover bolts, a new water pump. Rear tires, a K & N air filter, and new oils. low power steering fluid shows up and is still a mystery.

I also had a torn window ( vandalism ) so I opted for a Robbins glass window top, which makes the car look more like an old speedster from the back.

My next adventure is belt pulleys, since I have noise from those and replaced the belt with the water pump. Maybe the alt pulley?

In two years, I have driven the car about 9K miles. Always needing to do "something" to keep it going. Hopefully I am at the end of the nickle and dime stream. I paid $21k for the car in 2008, so way bellow KBB at that time. The vehicle makes up for tinkering by the way it drives. Although, I NEVER had a Mercedes need this much attention. Boy, that CL55 is sure looking...
BikerDrew is offline   Reply With Quote