View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
David Wildrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis
I started having this strange sound a few days ago, or at least that is the first time I noticed it. It happens when I first go into gear at low rpm. It sounds like a heat shield rattling and is not related to a cold or hot engine. It's easy to hear when I am driving alongside a car, fence, etc and the sound reflects back. I checked everything I could get to so far underneath the car and nothing is loose, but it only does it when the engine is at low rpms in gear, nothing when you gently rev engine in neutral. Does anyone have any ideas? Driving, the engine seems to have plenty of power and idles fine.
I have a similar rattling sound at 32,000 miles in my 2001 Boxster. I only hear it when I take off in 1st gear from a stop, but not after I'm rolling beyond 20 mph (or at idle).
I suspected an exhaust leak. I believe I have traced it to a vertical split or crack in the right side of the stock exhaust system at least a foot before the right and left exhaust passages join. It has been a couple weeks since I looked at this under the car, but I will try to shoot a pic of the split and post tomorrow.

Because I expect a big bill from the dealership, I have not done anything about it yet.
David Wildrick is offline   Reply With Quote