View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
23109VC

replaced the MAF - car runs wonderful.

after the new MAF went in and the code was cleared, the car idles really weird...it sputtered for a good 15 min...but afte I revved/drove it, that went away. the car felt more responsive, and clearly has more power.

i wouldn't say the power gain was HUGE - but it was enough that I could feel it - so it's got to be something fairly significant.. i.e., more than 5hp??

the car also feels MUCH smoother...the engine revs smoother and off throttle, seems to decellerate more smoothly...

overall - this was a good part to replace. my car has 78k miles..

i took my car right to the smog stationa nd it failed the OBD check p[ortion of the smobg..it passed the sniff test but apparently after resetting the ECU, the car goes through some internal checks and it hadn't done them all..i called my mechanic and he said to drive it around more and it woudl likely do all it's self checks and then it would pass that part fot he smog test..

if your car has P0102, don't postpone ch anging the MAF like I did. change it out. I was under the impression that it was a part that wasn't really supposed to wear out but would jsut get dirty and you could clean them and they'd be ok.

my mechanic explained that the MAF heats up and is very hot in the intake track and that over time, they simply wear out...he compared it to a spark plug in that they do last a long time - but they DO wear out and WILL fail... my car has 78k miles on it...

all I can say is that changing the MAF out clearly affected performance for the BETTER.

when I start to apply thorttle it feels like it starts accelerating soooner, more smoothly,, and it pulls more evenly throgh the revs. when it hits the upper rpms it feels stronger too. like i said earlier, it's not like bolting on a supercharget or something drastic...but it was WELL worth the price of the new part!
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote