View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
Gary H

Infinity Kappa dashtop upgrade

Time: 1hr, complexity: Simple. Basic tools required: Hex socket, strong pliers, silicone sealant, small Philips screwdriver, cable stripper.

After doing some research I decided on the Infinity Kappa 42.9i co-ax speakers as the replacements for my dash-top speakers. I won't go into the reasons in depth - but they're on the Infinity website, but the main reasons were these speakers are almost designed for the modest upgrade (I'm planning 50watts RMS per channel) and are very efficient too. I'm not going for hi-fi, nor am I going for street bass, but 93dB/Watt is impressive.

Anyway, the procedure is fairly straightforward. There are plenty of guides on the web, but this is how I did it:

1) remove hex-screws with a tip. These should be hand-tight only.

2) Use a small screw driver to push the edge of the connector in to remove the socket. Curiously , this has a VW/Audi logo on it (!)

3) You may have a tweeter installed. Just snip the wires near the tweeter and leave it in situ, we won't be using it.

4) Thank your little helper, but tell him politely but firmly his help isn't needed

5) Don't let the fact that the paper coned original looks bigger...

6) Flip them over to see the obvious difference.

Last edited by Gary H; 03-28-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote