Thread: totaled
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #21
lowmiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TrunkSteve
If they want to repair the car, I recommend that you push for a partial tear down of the damaged areas before they start any repairs. The body shop will begin the tear down as an "investigative expense" (to be paid by the insurance company) before any repairs would be started. If the insurance company balks, make sure you make some noise about the complexities and differences of the Boxster - it's no Chevy. They (SF) will do this. That will get you a whole lot further with fully understanding what the damage is. They will either total it or you will be more comfortable with what is damaged and its repairability because you know up front and before repairs are made.

Remember, this process is somewhat of a negotiation. As they tear the car down, I would get photos and post them here on the board to get some of the experts advise. It's a talented group and they are here for you!!
mp

Thanks for the info Steve. That is some great advice. The guy from state farm came out to my house today to look at it and start the process. He was punching all the info about the car into a small hand held computer and taking pictures. It had different costs associated with fixing the car on it. 2000 dollars to fix the air bags. Wow! I think things could add up very fast. We will see.

Not trying to jump ahead, but if it is totaled and they give me a fair price, what do you think about a buy back?
lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote