View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 03:04 AM   #14
Sideways Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
SS you're a saint, why? Well I for one think the PO knew exactly what was wrong with that automobile. Sounds like you have an impressive resume to tear down a m96. I would however, heed Steve Tinker's advise as I have read where even full-time mechanics would have a hard time with the M96. Good luck, we will certainly be pulling for you to resurrect the Boxster.

Cheers dude,

I do genuinely believe the guy I got the car from was unaware, believe me I have bought some seriously rough cars in the past deliberatly to fix up and sell on as I enjoy doing so and you can get a feel for people. This guy was 100% clueless about cars other than that he knew how to drive one LOL There are even receipts for having a wiper blade replaced so basically anytime this car needed something done, it went off to a garage and he payed silly amounts for it to be put right.

Thats aside though, theres no point in being angry about it, At the end of the day I have bought a well optioned boxster for about £3000 less than the current UK market value, so even at worst if I did source a full engine and drop that In I still theoretically wont be out of pocket other than for my time involved to sort it.

But that would be the easy way out ! I never jump to replacing a full engine until I know exactly what failed.

I once bought a car which had a suspected blown engine which on full investigation turned out to be some bad wiring and a small oil leak !

Cost to fix ----- £10 whereas anyone else would have replaced the engine and it would have cost ££££'s

This M96 failure though is a bit of a special one from what I can see so far, in that the failure has not been noted before anywhere I can see online. I have been in contact with flat6innovations and Jake is keen for me to keep him updated on my findings as he has not even had one of these engines with these sort of symptoms.

on the plus side .... my IMS appears to be in perfect condition !! haha !
Sideways Steve is offline   Reply With Quote