Thread: totaled
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 05:02 AM   #5
tonycarreon

as said before, glad you're okay. sorry about the boxster.

contact your ins. co. and give them all the information on the other driver's insurance. let the two companies deal with it - especially if you have uninsured / underinsured coverage. your ins. co. won't want to pay anything if the other guy was at fault.

if the car isn't totaled, be sure to investigate diminished value, make sure you use your choice of auto repair facility and oem ( or better if you can ) parts. make sure you're reimbursed for rental cars. if you're so inclined, contact an attorney.

short(ish) story -
my mother was driving her two-year old minivan down a country road when a newly licensed 17-yo pulled out in front of her. t-bone ensued. needless to say my mother thought her van was totaled. instead the other ins. company decided to pay for repairs.

first they told her which shop to take it to but she refused instead going back to the original selling dealer. she got a rental car which the ins. co. only agreed to pay $19/day for 3 days. however they dragged their feet on doing the adjustment, accepting oem parts ( they wanted the dealer to use salvaged parts instead of new ) and then refused to pay more than the original 3-days worth of rental car ( which was actually closer to $35/day from the dealer ). repairs took over a month of back-and-forth with the insurance co when the dealer actually got into the car and started repairs and found more things wrong than the adjusted calculated. the car was never the same and she ended up selling it at a loss to get rid of it. she sued and settled for way less than i think she should have gotten but learned some tough lessons.

get your ins. co. involved - they have way more money and lawyers than you do.

Last edited by tonycarreon; 03-21-2010 at 05:28 AM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote