Thread: Porsche is #1
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 04:19 AM   #12
landrovered

Garage
To me a Porsche is Uber reliable having come from a long lineage of British vehicles that promise but dismally deliver. British cars don't fail out right they just slowly break your heart one let down after another until you either accept it or sell it. In this light Porsche is like a breath of fresh air. They are well engineered, build quality is good and they don't rust out from under you. Oh yeah and the electrics seem to work most of the time as well.

If you look at the percieved weight of issues on Porsche boards you get a mixed bag of people whos cars work perfectly and are just bored and trying to upgrade them to make them more exciting, a few niggly but easily fixed issues like ignition switches, turn signals, lock outs, dead batteries and then the IMS issues but there is a fix for it and it boils down to an economic decision as to whether you want to address it.

Go over the the Land Rover boards and all you read about is porous blocks, head gasket failures, rust, stalling, death wobbles, coolant leaks, electrical problems, electrical problems, electrical problems, air suspension failures, drive shaft failures, differential failures, squeeks, rattles, clanks, ticking, sticking valves, cam lobes wearing off, oil leaks, power steering leaks, overheating, warped heads, broken bolts, leaky valve cover gaskets, bad spark plug wires, bad coils, bad distributors, the list goes on and on and on.

So while JD Powers survey has little impact on owners of older cars it does imply a basic mastery of the work of building automobiles by ze germans that seems to be lost on the English.