Thread: A Love Story
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 03:21 AM   #16
eightsandaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker
The Fiat twin cam shims weren't that bad to check & replace, especially if you had the valve compressor tool. You just slipped the tool under the cam, levered back and removed the shim!
Now, the 4 cylinder Alfa Romeo engines with bucket shims were more difficult, you had to remove the camshafts to gain access, as the shims fitted over the valve stem and could not be removed unless the valve bucket / follower was removed. I wish I had a doller for each shim I replaced over the years - I've owned 5 x GTV's, 1 x Berlina and 1 x Sud.
Even my Lancia Beta Coupe had the Fiat 2 litre engine which went quite well once wound up, though I still prefer the 1800 Fiat and 1750 Alfa engines to the other capacities.

Had that tool and an assortment of shims like I've never seen again anywhere else. My dad is having troubles now, I'm not sure if he'll ever drive his car alone again, I'm going to go with him and let him drive though. I found a book at his house, a Bertone body-style book signed by the then President of Fiat Roosevelt Motors.

My dad fabricated some tools for working on Fiats, some designs were duplicated by the company, high praise but no cash, haha...

Last edited by eightsandaces; 03-15-2010 at 03:29 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote