View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
Sideways Steve

Please help, Engine vibration ....

Good Morning Everyone,

Apologies in advance for this being my first post however I only just bought myself a nice tidy 2000 Boxster 2.7 over the weekend.

On driving her the 400 miles home I seem to have encountered a problem !

Once on the open road I opened her up a little and all was well but as the revs passed 5,500 rpm I noticed what can only be described as heavy engine vibration followed by the check engine light flashing at me.

I backed off and the vibration went away and the light went off.

I drove sensible the rest of the way home then yesterday took her for a spin to see what she done. Again above 5,500 rpm the vibration started and the light came on again, this time on bacing off the vibration went but the light stayed on.

Low down the revs etc she drives fine even though the light is still on but any time you go above 5,500 ish it shudders quite a bit and feels really nasty. At that point the light goes from solid to flashing again until you back off.

Now last night an additional issue has come to light, she seems to be dripping some oil when parked after a drive now too. Not much but enough to be concerned about !

Ive not had a chance to look and see where the oil is coming from yet but im thinking the vibration has damaged something and caused the leak.

What could be causing the vibrations ?

Just to add, I have owned many performance cars but generally stuck to japanese stuff, last car a Skyline GTR with over 600bhp. I do all my own work on cars etc and also can get access to a fault code reader to check why the light come on, but something really does feel mechanically wrong here
Sideways Steve is offline   Reply With Quote